Spicy Tuna Tartare in Sesame Miso Cones
- 4 ounces diced #1 sushi grade tuna
- 1 tablespoon diced pickled ginger
- 1 teaspoon chopped scallions
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce/wasabi mixture
- 2 tablespoons spicy chili mayonnaise
- 4 ounces butter
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1/8 cup miso paste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon powdered ginger
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds (1/4 black, 1/4 white)
- Soy Sauce/Wasabi Mixture
- 1/3 cup wasabi paste and 1 cup Japanese soy sauce. First, mix the wasabi paste with a little water, then mix with soy sauce. Be sure to shake or mix before every use.
- Spicy Chili Mayonnaise
- 1 cup of good quality prepared mayonnaise, 1/3 cup plus 1/4 tablespoon of chili sauce siaracha, and 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil (Kadoya Brand) all mixed together.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter together with the corn syrup. Do not boil.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in miso past and sesame oil.
- Sift the flour, continuously stirring. Add the ginger and sesame seeds.
- Bake in the oven on Silpats in 1 tablespoon portions for 10 minutes, then turn and bake for another 2 minutes.
- Remove from the baking sheets and form into miniature cones.
- Mix together left over ingredients. Place in plastic pastry bag.
- Place cones (about 20) in cone holder. Place 2 daikon sprouts in each cone while piping in the tartare mixture.
- Top with masago roe, julienne bonito flake and chopped pickled ginger.